Who is janet street porter dating
In 19 the boundaries of the borough were extended to include the hamlet of Preshute and the village of Manton, both to the west of the town.
King John was married here and spent time in Marlborough. In 1204 King John granted Charter to the Borough which permitted an annual eight-day fair, commencing on 14 August, the vigil of the Feast of the Assumption of Our Lady (15 August), in which "all might enjoy the liberties and quittances customary in the fair at Winchester".
He also established that weekly markets may be held on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Henry III held Parliament here, in 1267, when the Statute of Marlborough was passed (this gave rights and privileges to small land owners and limited the right of the King to take possession of land).
this place the King saw would prove quickly an ill neighbour to him, not only as it was in the heart of a rich County, and so would straighten him, and even infest his quarters." The King sent Lord Digby to take the town who left Oxford, the head of four hundred horses, 24 November 1642.
When he arrived, he chose to parley first, thus giving the inhabitants a chance to prepare defences and to recruit troops.
Roman remains and the large Mildenhall Hoard of coins have been found two miles to the east of Marlborough, at Mildenhall (Cunetio).